Wednesday, July 15, 2009

One More Story (Toys)

A wonderful story from Michael Grimm:
I'm very picky when it comes to my daughter. I will not be THAT GUY...the guy who just buys what she thinks she likes and be done with it. I'll go out of my way to research it and find something interesting...mostly so we both have a vested interest in the item. (Incidentally, my son and I both already have a vested interest as we're both dorks. ) Anyway, this July 7th was my daughter's birthday so it was time again for me to go hunting. What I finally got was perfect. She loves Batman and she loves Barbie. Her mom was already getting her a "girly" gift, so I decided on a Batgirl Barbie from Amazon.com. I was so happy that I could get the best of both worlds.

So then we let her open one gift the day before because I have no willpower and am a sucker for her and my wife begging. Naturally, I let her open mine because I wanted to see her reaction. She ripped open the paper and sat there stunned. In my mind I was thinking "uh, oh." and "maybe she's so happy she doesn't know what to say..." Yeah right...she's 4. All she DOES know how to say is what's on her mind.

Anyway, as she started crying, my wife started laughing (she knew how hard I stressed this). I think my wife is slightly evil. I attempted to save the situation: "It's a Batman Barbie..." I got put in my place "It is NOT BatMAN! It is NOT BARBIE." She had a point. It wasn't Batman or Barbie. So I ended up getting her something small from the pink section (I was in a hurry.) My wife wouldn't let me send Barbie back because it had made her laugh so hard...she still laughs everytime she sees it.

On the good side, I am now the proud owner of my first Barbie. My daughter gave it to me and I think of it as a "My first Barbie....for geeks."

Site Meter