Monday, June 22, 2015

Father's Day

As many of you know, I have an unshakable routine that I follow every morning.

No matter what else might be happening, I swing by P. Terry's for a big piece of banana bread and a Diet Coke. And I sit there for half an hour, at least, reading or checking the Internet for morning news.

This has gone on for a few years. Every morning, if I'm in town, I'll go do this. It's very calming, and it helps me settle in for the day.

Because I go every day, I know everyone who works at P. Terry's. I know who's going to college, who has kids, the kind of music people like. They know that Eli plays hockey.

It's nice.

So for Father's Day, Gloria and Eli 13.10 agreed to eat at P. Terry's with me for breakfast. Eli's never gone with me before.

I walked in. "BILL!" someone said. Eli laughed.

We placed our order and sat down. "The lady who took our order likes rap music," I said. "That's who I talk to about Fetty Wap and Young Thug."

Eli laughed again, harder this time. "How do you know all this?" he said.

"I ask questions," I said. "And I listen."

Then the manager came out from around the back. "Bill! Happy Father's Day!" she said.

"Thanks!" I said. I waited a few beats. "She just changed her hair," I said.

Eli almost did a spit take.

Site Meter