Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Um, Yeah

My Internet connection is killing me.

We now have AT&T U-verse High Speed Internet Max Plus, which allegedly provides the following speeds:
Download: 12.1 Mbps - 18 Mbps
Upload: 768 Kbps - 1.5 Mbps

Yeah, I know--that's not very good, really, although depending on where you live, it might be blazing. That's the fastest speed we can get from AT&T in this neighborhood.

That's not the problem, though.

The problem is that I'm actually getting (with a wired connection, mind you) 9.5 Mbps downloading and (hold on) 80 Kbps upload.

I wanted to download some files to Dropbox so that I have a safety net when I install Win 10 (yeah, I'm doing that, too), and it's taken over 24 hours to upload the files because I'm only very rarely over 100 Kbps.

The download speed has been as low as 5 Mbps, according to Speedtest.

This is not a big problem, entertainment-wise (it won't kill me if web pages take longer to load, although it's annoying), but when I'm trying to upload builds of the new game to Dropbox, this is going to be absolutely excruciating.

Any ideas (besides changing ISPs), please let me know.

Previously, I had a Time Warner connection that was 50+ Mbps, and it was very, very fast 99% of the time.

Site Meter