Thursday, January 10, 2019

Sure, If You Say So

"I'd like for it to be 9:45, but it's actually 11:30," I said. "I think we have a clock problem."

Gloria looked up from her computer. "It just needs a new battery," she said.

"Does it?" I asked. "Is it really that simple? Or are you covering up for an under performer?"

"It's a battery," she said.

"I've had my eye on that clock for a while," I said. "A veteran, played at a steady level for years, but now struggling at the end of its career. Should we keep it for one more year in the face of declining performance? Or should we cut the clock, trade for a high draft pick, and draft a new clock with a brighter future? Telling time is a results-based business."

"I'm putting in a new battery," she said.

"It happens so fast," I said. "Just last week, it was still accurate."

Site Meter