Tuesday, August 27, 2019

A New Era

I thought there would be a lot of stuff going through my head, but there's not so much stuff.

It's hard, to be sure. Your best friend for at least the last 15 years has gone away, and the relationship won't quite be the same.

At the same time, though, that's what's supposed to happen. A parent's job is to help their kid be mature enough and independent enough to move away. Eli 18.0 is both, and he's right where he should be, at an excellent university, surrounded by a ton of bright kids.

I'm really, really happy for him.

Plus, I'm exhausted. We've been together almost every day of his entire life, and once he hit about 3.0, the Enthusiasm Engine took off. I've been hanging on for years.

After this summer's golf, here's the stuff that hurts: right elbow, left wrist, left bicep, both feet, both hips. I made it through, and I'm going to keep practicing hard, but I'm also going to get healthy.

Plus, the novella. I have about 35 pages of notes on what will probably be the final revisions, and I waited all summer to get started. Now I can have a reliable schedule and put in solid work every day. It should take about three months of sustained effort, and then I think it will be done.

Oh, and Spanish. I'm working on Spanish for an hour a day.

Eli is going off to do great things, and I have important things here. I think we'll both be happy and have so much to share when he comes home for the holidays, or any time in-between.

It's not the same, but it's okay.

Site Meter