Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Fall Color, Both Tree and Bird Related

Remember the maple tree with thousands of whirlybirds littering the putting green? Yeah, that bastard. Here's what it looks like now:



Yeah, it's hard to be mad at it when it looks like that. So I just spend ten minutes picking up leaves and enjoying the view before I practice.

Then there are these individuals:



I was sitting in my car on Sunday, meditating in a particular spot (because geese like it here, actually), and this band of tourists starting walking across.

This time, I noticed something I never noticed before. When the lead goose saw me, he/she froze. In response, everyone else froze, too.

It was pretty fantastic, having a line of ceramic geese in front of me.

I didn't move. The goose didn't move.

I sent good thoughts. "So, how's your Sunday going?" I asked telepathically. Reassured, he/she began to walk again, the others following immediately.

They did one parade pass, then one of them started honking with a particular rhythm, and in a few seconds, they started running. Geese don't take off gracefully, really, because they're big. Howard Hughes didn't come up with the name "Spruce Goose" out of nowhere. They made it eventually, though.

Canada geese are very, very powerful. They fly from 40-70MPH, depending on the wind, and can fly 1500+ miles in a single day.

Respect, sirs and madams.

Site Meter