Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Under Surprising Circumstances

We have a schedule.

On T-T-Sat, we play tennis. On M-W-F, we play basketball.

This is a nod to Eli 18.8's school schedule, which is in effect until the end of next week. He's much busier on M-W. Basketball doesn't take as long as tennis (an hour versus and hour and a half), so the shorter workout is on the busier days.

It's April, and we can't go to the gym, so we just go. Cold weather? Doesn't matter.

It seemed quite cold yesterday, but hey, whatever. We don't even look at the temperature anymore. We played tennis for about an hour and a half. I take about 20 minutes longer to warm up than Eli (both hands and legs), so it was pretty stiff out there for a while, but I made it through.

The thing about playing tennis now, particularly with him, is that the adrenaline kicks in and I generally feel decent. The minute we step off the court, I'm exhausted, and everything hurts. I'm just trying to survive until my body gets in better shape. If it can.

We got back to the car and I checked the weather. "Hey, I think we just set a record."

"What is it?" he asked.

"Wind chill of 18," I said, laughing.

Eli shrugged. "Didn't feel that cold." A true Midwesterner, though transplanted.

I laughed. "Did to me."

There were a few snow flurries while we played--not the first time--and the last night it started snowing hard. It's still snowing, 14 hours later. I think we've gotten 4-5 inches, although it's going to melt quickly, which is great.

Still, though. 14 hours of steady snow in April. That's something.

Site Meter