Wednesday, July 08, 2020

Surname Not Included

We were playing golf in a heat index of 101 last Friday.

There was no wind. This meant the flies were out.

On #5 fairway, I stepped away from addressing the ball. "This fly is following me."

Eli 18.11 looked at me. "He's not following you."

"He was on the teebox, too. Right down the fairway with me."

Hole #6, near the green. Buzzing around me.

"There he is."

Eli laughed. "That is NOT the same fly."

"Are you saying that multiple flies are handing me off, like some kind of surveillance team? Are they that sophisticated?"

Eli gave me a look. "Yes, that's the most likely explanation."

This fly just stayed with me, hole after hole.

On #14, I stepped up to the teebox.

Fly.

I stepped back. "Thomas, I'm trying to hit a drive here."

"You NAMED the fly?"

I nodded. "He's been following me for over an hour now. It seemed appropriate."

"Somehow it's infuriating that you named the fly."

"Ah, that makes it all worthwhile." He laughed.

Site Meter