Thursday, February 04, 2021

As Mental Health Week Draws to a Conclusion

Jim sent me an email. 

He said that the Southern Strategy (employed first by Nixon after the Civil Rights and Voting Rights act caused racist southern Democrats to flee the party) was based on the exact same premise as the appeal used by the NIXVM cult: you deserve more than you're getting. 

That's a brilliant connection on his part.

Then I started thinking about politics, and religion, and it's astounding how often this exact script is used. Plus, if you're disobedient to your party/religion/etc., that's why you're not getting what you want, because we've shown you the the "right" path. 

I think this made me realize that anytime someone says "you deserve more than you're getting," it's time for me to run for the hills. 

At a reduced speed, as it turns out, because I jacked up my knee on Tuesday (during my workout, but I still don't know how). It hurt enough to go to my orthopedist today and get it checked out, because I thought I'd blown out my ACl/LCL/whatever other L's are in there. 

I didn't. 

He gave me a steroid injection in the knee and said let it calm down for a few days, and that it was probably just the right combination of factors for my arthritis to flare up. Which I didn't know I even had in my knee, but he saw it on the x-ray. 

There's still an outside chance that I might have torn my meniscus, but even if I did, big deal. I've had both of these repaired and I was walking miles within a week of the surgery. Minimal inconvenience. I was just worried about major surgery. 

Amusing side note: I'd already decided that if I did have to have ACL surgery, that I'd delay it a month to finish this draft of the book (only three chapters left to work on, and when that's done, I'm 95%+ of the way there). 

You've just got to get what you can out of what you have to work with. 


Site Meter