Tuesday, April 20, 2021

A Relief

I was watching a show yesterday, which was about a woman on trial for murder who was facing the death penalty. The did an excellent job of showing the trauma of the trial, and at the end, when she was found not guilty, she left the court and a smile broke out on her face for the first time in about three episodes. 

I realized that I felt almost the same yesterday, when I reached two weeks after my second vaccine dose. I'd been carrying around this strong feeling of dread because of the pandemic in ways that I didn't really understand, and it was only when I let some of it go that I realized how heavy it had been. 

There was news today that there have been 6,000 confirmed cases in the U.S. among the 84 million people who have been fully vaccinated. None of those people died or even became severely ill. 

Those are staggeringly positive numbers. 

Obviously, there are caveats, given the short time frame post-vaccination that has been measured. By any measure, though, it's still incredibly good news. 

Anti-vaxxers have a peculiar kind of madness. 

Now I have to (slowly) re-enter the world. Still wearing a mask, of course. It's going to feel very, very strange walking into a shop and just looking around. I haven't done simple things like that in over a year, just like many of you. 

I'm introverted enough that I'm not comfortable around many people, anyway. I've still missed some things, though. It will be nice to have them back. 

Eli 19.8 received his second dose of vaccine last week and woke up overnight with a fever of 104. This happens, on rare occasions. So it wrecked him, too (he's fine now). 

Site Meter