Wednesday, June 12, 2024

The Octopus

The close didn't go as smoothly as I'd hoped, but I should have known better.

First off, the online notary, even though the POA stated June 11, recorded that he attested to the document on July 11. 

Oops. 

The closing still went through, but that has to be fixed before the paperwork can be filed. Eli 22.10 has to go back to the online notary and have it corrected, which might well be difficult, since reaching a particular notary may be challenging. It certainly won't be difficult to prove it was a mistake, though, since it's quite difficult to attest to a document a month before the day exists.

I went to the bank to deposit the check and wrinkle number two presented itself: the check was made out to my last name, not his. Eli's last name is hyphenated (my last name is half of it, of course), but his name on the check wasn't. I mentioned this to the teller, who said it shouldn't be a problem (although I have no idea why). So I deposited the check in his account and now I wait to see if it clears.

I told Eli selling and leaving the house was like trying to pull an octopus off our faces.

The last tentacle is proving quite difficult.

Site Meter