A Difference in Approach
I've been spending quite a bit of time playing Pro Spirits 2026, the Japanese baseball game, focusing on high school (Koshien) mode.I've been playing College Football 27, too, but not as much.
I'm struck by the difference in Konami's development approach versus EA's.
In Pro Spirits 2026, everything just works. Menus are snappy. Animations are correct. The level of jank is zero. Even though the gameplay loop in Koshien mode is quite repetitive, it's never annoying, because--like I said--it all works, and there are constantly tiny variations and individual moments that make the game feel alive.
College Football 27 is the third iteration of EA's return to college football. In typical EA fashion, they've revamped things that worked absolutely fine and made them different for no reason. Like the menus, which were snappy last year. Now, they're sluggish.
Other parts of the game have been revised in Dynasty, too, also for no reason. Things that never needed to be changed, like controls in slow sim, for example. These revisions have introduced bugs that didn't exist before.
Even after several patches, it's still a problem. The whole experience has more jank than I want, at least for now.
This is the difference in approach. Konami fundamentally opposes any jank in Pro Spirits 2026. It seems like a core development concept. EA doesn't prioritize reducing jank at all. I guess they assume it will be fixed eventually, even though it usually isn't.
I like the team developing NCAA. They've had two strong efforts in the last two years. But now, in typical EA fashion, they're going sideways.
<< Home