Thursday, August 04, 2005

From an Anonymous Source

...who wishes not to be named, obviously. This is in response to my posts about Ken Kutaragi and the launch price of the PS3 in the U.S. I've known this person for several years and have no reason to doubt the information.

My never-wrong Sony source: it's $299, and Sony will lose about as much per PS3 as they did per PS2 to begin with.

That's certainly the "correct" price-point for consumers. The question is whether all the extra features would make selling the console at that price prohibitively painful for Sony. Here's one way I think they can get there: start removing features. It won't surprise me at all if Sony drops several features between now and launch. Any single feature is less important than releasing the console at the correct price point, at least in my mind.

Site Meter