Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Jaws

I swam right into a shark yesterday.

I know what you're thinking: you swim in a POOL.

Yes, I do. And I admit it was floating on the surface and appeared to be made out of rubber.

So obviously it was harmless.

Every shark is harmless. Until it attacks you.

I almost ate it, actually. I've been on a diet for about three weeks now. I know, 6'1" and 168 isn't the typical profile of a dieter, but to break thirty minutes in the mile I need to get down to about 160 (if my calculations are correct). So I'm on a 1500 calorie diet and still working out. The funny thing is, besides being hungry on a fairly regular basis, I feel great. I've lost about four pounds, I feel much lighter in the water, and I have more energy than I've had in months. Sure, I drool when I see anything that could potentially be consumed, all the way down to cardboard boxes, but that's what the back of my hand is for. I can't really explain why, but I've known for years that my body responds much better to less food than more. So I'm going to stay on this for two more weeks and see what happens.

I've gotten quite a bit of mail about that interval training post yesterday. Please allow me to repeat a couple of things. First, please don't blow yourself out trying this. It's very poorly suited for running, because there's just too much stress on connective and muscle tissue at maximum effort. Cycling or swimming, in theory, should be optimal for trying something like this. Second, be careful starting off. A build-up period of a few weeks is a sound idea to get yourself acquainted with interval training. It is a unique experience in pain, and absolute maximum effort, even for thirty seconds at a time, should be respected. Third, what really blew me away about that study (and two others I've seen) are the durations--incredibly short for the work, incredibly long for the recovery.

I'm glad some of you were interested, and since a few of you are actually going to try this, I'll keep you posted on the results. Please don't pull, tear, or snap anything.

Site Meter