Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Direct2Drive

I mentioned Direct2Drive last week, but really didn't have many details. Here's what I've been able to find out:
--Direct2Drive uses an "industry standard" download manager, according to the site
--I'm not sure what licensing scheme they're using, but clearly there's some kind of DRM check. It's not Starforce, though, and I haven't seen any complaints about what they're using.
--Here's an important piece of information that DQ reader Andy Koch sent me:
I think it is important to tell people that direct to drive games are on their own patch cycle/system. So if you buy a game there and the next day the retail version gets a patch - you won't be able to patch the d2d version with that patch. You'll wait until d2d gets the same patch - which may be never.

That's an excellent point. The Oblivion patch released yesterday? It won't work on the Direct2Drive version. The patch has to be customized for the D2D install.

One question I'd like to have answered is whether anything size-intensive content (like cut scenes) get removed or altered in the D2D version. I'm still checking on that and I'll let you know what I find out.

Site Meter