Monday, November 10, 2008

This Is Not The Weekend I Was Expecting

On Sunday, when I woke up, I weighed 167 pounds. Today, I weigh 162. Sunday did not go well.

It started off well, though. Eli 7.3 had a 1K race to run (Gloria was running the 5K), so I was going to run with him, then hang out while Gloria ran her race.

I noticed when I woke up Sunday morning that I didn't feel great. I was really, really tired, and incredibly stiff. I'm 47, though, and it's not like I haven't woken up a ton of times feeling like that, so I just ignored it.

Eli ran a terrific race. We didn't get a time, because the race timer didn't reset (there was a ten miler that started two hours before the 1K), but I think he ran as fast or faster than the race he ran last month, and he placed about seventh. I saw the first kid cross the finish line about forty yards ahead of him, so he wasn't very far away.

I didn't feel good while we ran, but 6:40 pace is balls out for me, since I don't run anymore, so I figured that feeling was pretty normal. The only odd thing was that I was incredibly thirsty after the race, but drinking water didn't seem to quench my thirst at all.

Gloria finished her race, and as we were walking back to the car, talking about going to Krispy Kreme for a late breakfast, I realized that I was feeling lousy. And even the thought of doughnuts was making me feel sick, so Gloria took me home, then they went to Krispy Kreme.

I crawled into bed about 11 a.m. That's where I stayed for the next twenty-one hours, except for when I was throwing up or going to the bathroom. That's where the five pounds went. I don't recommend it. I barely drank a single glass of fluid yesterday because I would feel sick as soon as I took a sip.

This morning, I caught a break and was able to see my doctor right away. He said it was a virus. I'm supposed to feel lousy today and tomorrow, but decent by Wednesday.

I had a saltine cracker just now, which is my first food in forty-five hours. That's a record for me, and I consider myself very fortunate that it's never been longer than that.

Site Meter