Thursday, September 20, 2012

City of Heroes

I have fond memories of playing City of Heroes when it was first launched in 2004.

Jesus, that was a long time ago.

In particular, I had more fun with the Character Creator than I'd ever had with other games, and CoH was bright, colorful, and campy.  It didn't take itself seriously, but it was well-designed and very playable.

I played until my character reached level 18, and then the MMO black hole got me. I played Everquest as well (a monk), and also reached level 18 with my characer before flaming out.  But my memories of CoH are much brighter.

I mean, who doesn't want to be a superhero?

So when I saw the news that after many successful years, the game was finally shutting down (November 30), I felt a pang of nostalgia and regret.

People who are still playing the game, though, are trying to save it. I know, this is probably doomed to fail, but it's a noble gesture nonetheless.  Plus, they do seem to be getting a little traction:
City of Heroes fans buy Paragon Studios a Meal and Proclaim Allegiance
City of Heroes Fans Hold Protest at Atlas Park
Mercedes Lackey endorsement

Here's what Mercedes Lackey said: I will offer myself and my likeness to endorse and advertise, exclusively, all NCSoft products for a minimum term of five years and a maximum term of ten years, for no compensation or payment, if you will make it possible for the game and Paragon Studios (even in a reduced capacity) to continue to function, either once again under the NCSoft umbrella, or until a new owner comes forward.

Damned impressive, really.

According to this post (which I can't verify, although it seems credible), CoH was still profitable at the time its closure was announced. Maybe that provides an opening for someone to purchase the I.P. and code base, as it doesn't appear that that CoH was draining the company coffers.

Here's a link to a coordination thread for the campaign:
Save Paragon City! efforts coordination

If they somehow succeed, it will be a great story.

Site Meter