Monday, July 13, 2015

Gridiron Solitaire Something or Other: New Stuff + Frustration = Well, I Don't Have An Answer Because This Stuff Doesn't Add Up

I'm putting in all of Fredrick's new background screens now.

Very, very time consuming and tedious, but boy, the game looks terrific with a fresh coat of paint. Here are a couple of screenshots:


The fonts on this next screen aren't finalized (or their size), and the white/yellow bars you see are for the team's primary and secondary colors. They're not loading properly anymore, and neither are the default ratings, and I have no idea why.


What's particularly strange is that I didn't change anything in the code-behind, just XAML for element positioning and layout. Why would that effect things like loading lists. It's an ancient mystery, my friend, an ancient mystery.

Plus somehow the default options for debugging in Visual Studio 2012 have changed, and now I get these kinds of messages, which I'm not familiar with at all:
A first chance exception of type 'System.ArgumentNullException' occurred in PresentationCore.dll
A first chance exception of type 'System.ArgumentNullException' occurred in PresentationCore.dll
A first chance exception of type 'System.ArgumentNullException' occurred in PresentationCore.dll
Step into: Stepping over property 'CardDisplayandLayout.TeamCustomize.get_lblTeam1OffRun'.  To step into properties, go to Tools->Options->Debugging and uncheck 'Step over properties and operators (Managed only)'.
Step into: Stepping over property 'CardDisplayandLayout.TeamCustomize.get_lblTeam2OffRun'.  To step into properties, go to Tools->Options->Debugging and uncheck 'Step over properties and operators (Managed only)'.

A first chance exception of type 'System.ArgumentNullException' occurred in PresentationCore.dll

This is a very good example of how I know what I know and nothing else. Stuff like this totally baffles me, because I've never seen it before. I followed the instructions in the message, but I'm still not seeing what I used to see in terms of debugging messages, which is all I want. 

Specifically smart, generally stupid. I think that sums up my coding knowledge in a nutshell. Well, maybe not "smart". "Semi-competent" seems more accurate.

Site Meter