Monday, February 18, 2019

A Difference of Meat-pinion

"I saw that you and Eli were cutting up your steak," Gloria said.

"The steak scissors were dirty," I said. We like cutting steak with scissors. Snip-snip-snip and done. Geometric precision. Knives are much less fun.

"There's a way to cut steak," Gloria said. "What you want to do is cut against the grain."

"I will literally never remember that," I said. "But I thank you for your good intentions."

"When you cut across the muscle fibers, the meat will be more tender," she said. "It makes perfect sense."

"Sure," I said. "To a meat cutter."

____

I admit it, I don't like steak that much.

Steak is just fussy. There are rules. Techniques. FIVE degrees of done-ness.

Ground beef? Throw it in a skillet. Brown it. Put it in a form factor (hamburger, taco, Sloppy Joe, etc.). Eat away.

The next day? Warm it up, and it's just as good. It's the zero-hassle meat.



Site Meter