Thursday, April 22, 2021

The Secret Wonders of the Second Floor

The way my building is set up, there are retail spaces on the first floor. The second floor is more commercial and less transactional. Floors three through five are residential. 

I'm on the third floor. 

In a recent spate of cold and wet weather, I was trying to find a way to practice putting (I've been working on putting with a metronome, which has made a huge difference in the smoothness of my stroke). The only problem was that I don't have much carpet in my apartment--only two rooms, and I'm limited to 12 ft. putts and in. That kind of repetition gets boring very quickly.

I pass through part of the second floor on the way to the lobby. I've done this for over a year, and then one night it just hit me: the entire second floor has carpeted hallways, and no one is there after about 7 p.m.

This: 















I won't lie. The putting is brutally difficult. The carpet is faster than Augusta, the breaks are enormous (nothing is level in this state), and any tiny inconsistency in my stroke is brutally exposed. 

On the positive side, I can practice any putt up to about 100 feet, if I wanted, even though the useful max is about 35. 

It's fun, though. And it definitely feels like I'm getting away with something, which is always a bonus.

Site Meter