Tuesday, December 26, 2023

Buy, Buy, Buy

Today, I went to Costco, the great maw of American consumption (Sam's Club would also be the correct answer).

It's interesting how these "consumption clubs" skew our idea of value. When I walked in, one of the first things I saw were 560 sandwich bags for only a dollar more than it would cost me to get 80 at a local grocery store. I had my hand on the box when I remembered it would take me three years, at least, to use 80 bags. Most of that 560 would wind up in my will.

Still, it was hard not to buy them because the cost per bag was so low, even though I didn't need them.

I do become the blueberry equivalent of the Hunt Brothers because I buy so many when Eli 22.4 is hear. We eat them all, though, and sooner than I ever expect.

I walked past a giant box of cereal with "NO SUGAR ADDED" prominently displayed on the box. When I was a kid, that message was the death knell for any cereal I was considering. How could that be considered a feature?

The history of cereal is very, very strange, and it focuses on two names: Kellogg and Post. Even stranger, it focuses on only one city: Battle Creek, Michigan. Here are the twisted details: The weird but true history of cereal - from anti-sex campaigns to mind control.


Site Meter