Wednesday, August 15, 2018

I Implore You To Play The Banner Saga

I finished The Banner Saga 3 yesterday, which completes the story.

Then I did something I've almost never done: I reinstalled the original, and I'm playing through the trilogy again.

Why? Because this is one of the greatest RPG's ever made.

There is real beauty and real pain. Agency and helplessness. Decisions feel like real choices with real consequences. Characters that you care about, some of whom you will miss deeply.

Relationships that feel as real as words can make them.

The trilogy defines characters to an arresting, gripping degree, your leadership swirling around all of them, visible but somehow incomplete, no matter your greatness. I felt genuine conflict, and genuine emotions.

And the text? In the Banner Saga, you savor it, feeling the heartache, the moral dilemmas, the hard choices you will have to make.

I will give you one piece of advice when you start playing this game: pay attention. Characters have motivations, and rivalries, and feel love and hatred and everything else in their relationships. These relationships are what define the game, and will define your leadership. There is no text skipping, or half-reading.

You're a leader. Act like one.

Here's a link to part one, and you can also buy the full trilogy, if you prefer.






Site Meter